This is the second of
three four School Committee meetings this month. Here’s what on the agenda:
There will be votes on:
Finance and Facilities
- FY17 Budget Deliberations (see link)
There may be discussion on:
Policy and Planning
- FY16 Strategy Overview (pg 4)
- NOTE: This is a living document, updated regularly by the Superintendent . The Strategy Overview is to be presented to the School Committee on a quarterly basis. This particular update was to be given last month, but was voted to be postponed until now to allow for further detailed deliberation on the FY17 budget in April.
- Herein you will find:
- the Melrose Public Schools Vision statement: “(we support them [students] through a process of goal setting and building individual responsibility for academic success.)”
- the MPS Theory of Action: “If teachers plan instruction with clear learning objectives, build content expertise that is supported by a current and well-articulated curriculum, understand culturally proficient pedagogy,apply the best instructional practices, and frequently use assessment to monitor student progress, then teaching and learning will continuously advance and realize high levels of student performance for all learners.”
- Strategic Objectives for Melrose Public Schools
- Planning: Employ purposeful and deliberate planning that is designed to enable all students to achieve a high level of content mastery and skill development.
- Content and Curriculum: Provide rich, high-quality, and current content that fosters the development of higher-level thinking skills and helps all students to attain college and career readiness.
- Instruction: Provide advanced learning opportunities that are student-centered and engage all learners in activities that offer enrichment and challenge and that are focused on student learning, growth, and achievement.
- Assessment and Data: Create dynamic assessments that provide reliable and valid data that informs teaching and learning in order to advance student performance.
- Author’s Note: This is a massive document. I will work to clarify it further in a future post.
Lastly, I want to apologize for my absence last meeting. I had a family emergency that kept me away.
Edit: Changed number of meetings this month from 3 to 4.